I’ve wanted to spin for a long time. A couple of years ago I got the bug really bad and hubby made me a drop spindle. It and I did not get along. At all. Then hubby worked on making me a spinning wheel. He’s very mechanically inclined and basically wanted to see if he could do it. Using bits and pieces from the garage he cobbled together a very fair wheel. The only things he/we couldn’t seem to figure out was the tensioning and getting the ratios correct.
We both got bored and it ended up in the basement, neglected. The spinning bug reared its head again last spring. It was much stronger than before. I kept seeing the pretty yarn and fibre from Hello Yarn and I was oh so smitten. I joined Adrian’s fibre club last spring, still didn’t have a wheel but I wanted some of her fibre and if I was in the club I was guaranteed to get me some!
About six months later I signed up for beginner lessons at Birkeland Bros and our instructor was Louisa. Most excellent spinner that she is! Also, very patient and positive. After four weeks using their wheels (Ashford traditional, very nice – Ashford Joy, so sweet! – Louet S10, not a great fit for me) and learning how to use a drop spindle (still not my favourite thing to do, that’s for sure), I got a Lendrum DT.
She’s lovely and I’m learning new stuff all the time with her. I didn’t want to use my “good” fibres on her until I got better at spinning so I turned to the two pound bag of New Zealand crossbreed fibre I had leftover from lessons. Hmm, what shall I do with this, thought I? I know, I’ll spin enough to make a sweater, because that totally makes sense and of course my first real spinning project should be enough for an entire 46″ pullover. Yep, you bet.
Well, I did it. Last night I plied the last two bobbins and put it all in the bath for a good soaking. There is a definite difference in the yarn I spun in November to what I spun last week. There are also some definite thick and thin bits. I don’t care, I’m totally going to make a sweater with it. A good sturdy sweater for walking the dogs in the fall. Something utilitarian and comfortable. If we had a barn I’d say it was a barn sweater, but we don’t. So, how about a garden shed sweater?
C is for Crazymaking
I still can’t believe that I spun up 2 pounds of yarn, about 1000 metres. It didn’t seem like all that much until I put it all together last night in the tub. Then it really did seem like a fair bit. And, it weighed a tonne when it was wet! It should all be dry by tomorrow and I will be ready to wind it all up into balls this weekend.
In other news I’m almost done the EZ Brookes sweater. I’m very pleased with it so far. I’m doing a 3×3 ribbing for the collar but I’m not sure it I’m going to be in love with that or not. We’ll see. I contemplated a hemmed neckline like the cuffs & bottom but I wanted something a little different. I’ve got class tomorrow, guild on Thursday (Happy Valentine’s Day!), and a crop on Friday so I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it until Saturday at the earliest.
Last but not least, here is my stripey Romney out of her bath and feeling all fresh and stripey: